The engine that I thought would be a breeze to freshen up turned into a slight nightmare. Since it did run when I got it, I had been moving it on and off the trailer for paint etc. I noticed that it was missing quite a bit. Just for inspection I pulled the carb, intake, and valve covers and you will never guess what I found. A Shirt! You heard me right a shirt was laying in the valley pan. My only guess is that the guy who built the engine layed a shirt over the valley pan to keep dust and debris out when he had to stop for a while and layed the new delicate aluminum valley pan on top of it to keep it from being damaged as well. When he came back to put the intake on he had forgotten that he left the shirt under the valley pan and proceeded to bolt on the intake. after about 11 bent push rods later..........
Yea, what a mess. I can't believe the engine even ran as well as it did.
I contacted the guy and he told me that's probably exactly what happened. The good news is that he gave me all the new parts (and then some) to fix it. OK here we go. New push rods, Rockers, Oil deflectors (that are obsolete by the way) and new lifters, aluminum valley pan and all the seals get put in. Oh baby, now she sounds GREAT.......but wait.....what's this....180 degrees, 190 degrees, 200 degrees, 210. ....ok shut it off.......we have another problem.